Wednesday, March 1, 2006

LIFE: Read it in the papers


So in theory when we move here to New Zealand later this year, I'll have to get a job. I've been kind of avoiding that topic because there's so much else involved with becoming an expatriate that I've got to worry about, and I can't work anyway until I get residency, which will probably happen 3-4 months after we arrive for good. But the question remains, what will yours truly do? Unfortunately I'm not in one of these "highly skilled" professions there's a demand for here, i.e. medicine or computers. Journalism here is somewhat different than the U.S., although the basic similarities remain. But the newspapers definitely take a more British "tabloidy" tone with the news:

Image hosting by PhotobucketYou'd have to read about halfway into this grim story to learn the stabbings occurred in Asia, not downtown Auckland. Not that that mediates their awfulness, but it does show a fundamentally different approach in coverage to our staid -- sometimes dull -- middle American approach. The NZ papers are closest in kin to New York City's fiery New York Post and other tabs, I think. It's an approach I wonder if I can fit in with, although I'm adaptable.

Image hosting by Photobucket They definitely sensationalize a bit more here -- why have a traffic jam when you can have "Road Rage Chaos In Jam From Hell", as a headline a few weeks back said? Or take this gem from Sunday's paper, at right. Of course, the story is actually about a bird whose neck was snapped, traumatizing an entire family of kiwis: "An Auckland couple have accused the owner of Ngatea cafe of snapping the neck of a sparrow sitting on the cafe's windowsill and dumping it in a plastic bag in the freezer." Definitely unpleasant, but the headline kind of gives you a rather different impression than bird-icide, doesn't it?

There's also an excellent magazine industry here in Auckland that boasts several fine 'zines I wouldn't mind working for if the opportunity presented itself... Of course, for all I know, I won't be able to get a journalism job anyway, and end up doing magic tricks for nickels in front of a fish-and-chip shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment