Saturday, March 4, 2006

LIFE: It's an Art Deco overload!


AUCKLAND, New Zealand - So a few days, a lot of kilometers and about a zillion sheep later, we're back from our jaunt over to the east coast of North Island to visit Napier and Taupo for a few days. At least one frequent reader has blogged before about this part of the world, and the Hawke's Bay area has been high on my list of places to go that we didn't see in my previous visits to New Zealand. So my in-laws, Avril, Toddler Peter and I hit the highway for a few days of jet-set sightseeing. Napier is a particular highlight of my NZ travels to date -- after a huge earthquake in the 1930s, much of the city was rebuilt in a striking art deco style. I'm a big fan of the art deco design, and Napier was worth the drive.

Anyway, I'm suffering road burn-out and other exhaustions, so I'll just let a few pictures make up for my usual verbosity. Napier boasts some amazing buildings -- they all look like they just came out of a 1940's "Superman" animated cartoon! Enjoy the deco overload and I'll try writing real words again soon.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment