Tuesday, July 6, 2004

OK, this is petty and small but it annoys me so -- It's Spider-Man, not "Spiderman." Hyphen, hyphen, hyphen! On the other hand, I can see why folks don't get it correct -- I mean, you have "Superman," "Batman," "Hawkman," "Aquaman," all the way on down to "Robotman." No hyphens there. What makes Spider-Man hyphen worthy when so many are not? Does the hyphen indicate his divided nature, that he is in fact torn more between Spider and Man than Batman or Superman, who are more comfortable with their dual identities and therefore less conflicted in life? Perhaps that was writer "Stan the Man" Lee's way of setting up the Mighty Marvel method of superhero storytelling way back in the 1960s.

Or perhaps I'm reading wayyy too much into it and it was just punctuation run amok. Then again what to say of lesser-known heroes such as "Iron Man" or "Animal Man," who have neither hyphen nor one word.

They call us comic book geeks. I can't for the life of me imagine why.

No comments:

Post a Comment