Friday, July 30, 2004

Just got through watching John Kerry's speech, or as much of it as I could while balancing a squirming 5-month-old while everyone else went berry picking. It was a good, solid speech I think, one that started a little slow but really got going once he warmed up. Kerry will never be Bill Clinton as a talker and I think that's a good thing, but he looks and feels presidential to me. He spoke with solid conviction and managed to hit all the familiar bases. He hit a few home runs, such as when he hit the Republican tax cuts for the rich and particularly, his fantastic use of the quote by Abraham Lincoln about how he doesn't know if God's on our side, but he hopes we're on God's side (one of the best Lincoln quotes ever and a nice slap across George "I was chosen by God" Bush's nose).

Obviously, though, the speech wasn't for someone like me who made up his mind months ago. I don't know how it would play to the undecided, however many there are anymore, but I think it was at least the equal of one of Bush's slogan-draped rants. 100 days or so before the election, I have no idea how this is going to turn out. As Avril and I keep saying, we don't want to get our hopes up too much, but it's hard not to. Three months is a very long time to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment