Thursday, August 5, 2004

Happy Birthday to my Dad, who's 64 years young today. In honor here's a verse from the Beatles:
When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a Valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out 'till quarter to three, would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?



Happy Birthday!

Been mucho busy this week, my in-laws are still in town from New Zealand and of course because the laws of space and time demand it, it's also one of my busiest weeks of the year at work. Am editing and assembling our massive 48-page annual edition of reader essays, which is fun work except that on Monday, the final day to submit essays, I had nearly 20 plummet onto my desk with a resounding thud, all demanding my attention. Only 2 1/2 days 'till vacation, must keep thinking...

Have had a great time with the in-laws, though, visiting Crater Lake, the coast, Eugene, Portland, all the sundry sights and sounds of our corner of Oregon. I imagine the finest sight that will forever be imprinted on their eyes is that of Wal-Mart on a hot, sunny afternoon. More bloated, pasty manflesh than the naked eye can handle.

Finally resolved the great car stereo crisis of summer '04 yesterday by ponying up to buy a new one. It's a shiny spiffy beast, a Blaupunkt with silver dials and glowing lights. It sounds nifty, too. But best of all is the name. Blaupunkt, blaupunkt, it sounds like a lost subgenre of German techno rock or perhaps a brand of grape kool-aid from Hamburg. Blaupunkt, blaupunkt, blaupunkt! It's even fun to type! In my last few months without a car CD player, I've discovered that I listen to a LOT of my music in the car. NPR is an OK replacement but even the radio part of the stereo died after a while leaving me with nothing but the clanking and hissing of my own thoughts for company. With my luck, the stereo will be stolen within a week. Please don't steal my stereo.
Blaupunkt.

No comments:

Post a Comment