Sunday, August 29, 2004

Geez, pop singer Laura Branigan has died!! She was only 47. If you don't remember her, she was kind of an 1980s one-hit wonder best known for her 1982 platinum hit "Gloria."

According to the AP, Branigan died of a brain aneurysm Thursday in her sleep at her home in East Quogue, said her brother Mark Branigan. "Gloria," a signature song from her debut album "Branigan," stayed atop the pop charts for 36 weeks and earned her a Grammy nomination for best female pop vocalist, the first of four nominations in her career.

She was big when I was a wee lad for about ten minutes there, and circa 1983 I had a bit of a crush on her -- I didn't like the song "Gloria" which was her big hit as much as I did "Self Control," a follow-up single that I can still geekishly remember the words to. It was way cool. It had a video which seemed really sexy to me at the time although I saw it years later on some VH1 program and couldn't believe how melodramatic and cheesy it was. She's someone whose career I never really followed past the age of 14 or so, but she sang a few songs that made me smile once. Man, a tragic thing to drop dead at only 47 like that. RIP, Ms. Branigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment