Saturday, August 21, 2004

Babies, babies, babies.... One of the fun things about our recent vacation was getting a chance to see old friends' children, for the first time having one of our own to lug around like a sack of wriggly potatoes. The ol' cliché is that "everything in your life changes," and it is true, but what's surprising is that it's a gradual change. I know I didn't wake up the day after Peter was born feeling reminted and rebooted (I was absurdly exhausted, though). But now 6 months on I do feel different, and the process continues all the time. You adjust your life to being on "baby time" and not your own time. It teaches you selflessness or in worse cases brings out the sides of yourself you'd rather not acknowledge. I just sent a few e-mails to old friends from the wild 'n' single dating days of yore and realizes that most of my message was (a. about my boy or (b. inquiring about their kids. It could make you feel old if you let it but I'd rather look at it just as a different phase in life underway.

One of my favorite lines in a movie last year was from "Lost In Translation," and Bill Murray's monologue about having kids. It made me weepy-eyed a bit at the time (and that's not easy, honest) knowing our kid was on the way but now having one of our own it rings even more true:
Bob:"Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

No comments:

Post a Comment