Thursday, July 30, 2009

Kia ora, SpongeBob!

...If you're overseas, bet you didn't know it's Maori Language Week. Learning 'Te reo' is all the rage in the media this week. I quite enjoyed the brief Maori night class I took just after moving here, and one fine day if I ever have the spare time I'd dig taking another. But as a bilingual society here you have a fair amount of Maori filter through into your day-to-day conversation, too.

But this week we have had the single finest Maori-English fusion yet introduced. I present to you.... Maori SpongeBob SquarePants!


I find the Maori theme song particularly awesome. And a little bit scary.

• Also on the Internets – I've been catching up a bit on some writing for BlogCritics lately. You can zip on over there and find a reviews of the re-release of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' debut CD, "From Her To Eternity," and a look at the swell new Jayhawks compilation, "Music From The North Country: The Jayhawks Anthology." Go read and be rewarded!

No comments:

Post a Comment