Thursday, May 12, 2005

MUSIC: All you need is memes


Because my brain is too strained to come up with an original post, I'm taking a cue from nifty fellow bloggers Lefty Brown and Shane and posting a Q&A music meme making its way around the Internets. I'm in a musical frame of mind because I just got an excellent deal on Lucinda Williams' new "Live At The Fillmore" 2-CD set -- our local Sam "Rip You Off" Goody had it for a whopping $23.99, nothankyou, but I went to Fred Meyer and they had it listed at $19.99 BUT it was on sale for $16.99 BUT they had a coupon in the paper for $3 off any CD over $14 so I got it for a mere $13.99 - $10 less than the "music store" in town. Hurray!

Anyway, I meme --
1. Of all the bands/artists in your CD/record collection, which one do you own the most albums by?
David Bowie, by far, with more than 50 albums and assorted *coughcough* bootlegs.

2. What was the last song you listened to?
"Beautiful Sorta" by Ryan Adams and the Cardinals, which is catchy pseudo-Paul Westerberg rawk. The chorus had been sounding to me either like "Beautiful Sword" or "Beautiful Soda" (awesome!) but I looked at the CD and it's actually neither. Oops.

3. What's in your CD player right now?
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals, "Cold Roses"

4. What song would you say sums you up?
Damn, that's a hard one. Today I'd go with "Ooh La La" by The Faces.

5. What's your favorite local band?
Unfortunately we have no good local bands here in the hinterlands. In college I was a big champion of Southern roots rock combo Blue Mountain though.

6. What was the last show you attended?
One of the final shows of Guided By Voices' career, back in November in Portland. (Review here)

7. What artist do you consider to be very underrated?
Most of the ones I listen to except The Beatles.

8. What's the worst band you've ever seen in concert?
Smashing Pumpkins gave a godawful show back in Mississippi in 1994.

9. What band do you love musically but hate the members of?
Well, I probably never would have wanted to hang out with Kurt Cobain, but I do love Nirvana.


10. What is the most musically involved you have ever been?

A buddy and I made some awful gawky "Weird Al" style music parody tapes under the name "Abraham and the Dead Slugs" using a cheap keyboard and off-key puberty-afflicted vocals back in the teenage days... Ten-CD deluxe reissue coming sometime soon to an imagination near you.

11. What show are you looking forward to?
With a 15-month-old baby at home, none in immediate future, although hopefully we'll catch some outdoor shows this summer. Gee, and Ted Nugent is playing the county fair!

12. What is your favorite band shirt?
Of all time, I had a great Billy Joel T-shirt from 1990 that I wore for a ridiculously long time before I ended my rather embarrassing Billy Joel phase. (I don't dislike the guy now, but I recognize the hefty coating of cheese that goes with his nice melodies.)

13. What musician would you like to hang out with for a day?
Three-way tie between Bowie, Elvis Costello and Peter Gabriel, I think.

14. Metal question- Jeans and Leather vs. Cracker Jack clothes?
What the hell are "Cracker Jack" clothes?

15. Sabbath or solo Ozzy?
Neither.

16. Commodores or solo Lionel Ritchie?
Um, neither again.

17. Blackjack or solo Michael Bolton?
Who? and Are you kidding me?, respectively.

18. The Eagles or solo Don Henley?
I've never really been amazed by the Eagles, and for some reason always loved Henley's tunes "The End of the Innocence" and "Boys of Summer," so I'll go for the underdog.

19. The Police or solo Sting?
Police, man.

20. Doesn't emo suck?
No opinion.

21. Name 4 flawless albums.
Off the top of my head:
Peter Gabriel, "So"
The Beatles, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
David Bowie, "Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)"
Guided By Voices, "Bee Thousand"


22. Did you know that filling out this survey makes you a music geek?
Well, duh.

23. What was the greatest decade for music?
Approximately 1973-1983. Does that count?

24. How many music-related videos/DVDs do you own?
Six - "The Beatles Anthology," "The Pixies," "David Bowie: A Reality Tour," "Tenacious D: The Complete Masterworks," "David Bowie: Best of Bowie" video collection, "Peter Gabriel: Play"

25. Do you like Journey?
Ummm... In low doses. Never owned an album by them though.

26. What is your favorite movie soundtrack?
Tough call - among my favorites, "Rushmore," "The Piano," "Pulp Fiction," "Say Anything," "Crumb," "Dead Man Walking"

27. What was your last musical "phase" before you wised up?
I don't regret any of the phases I've gone through in the last 10 years or so.

28. What's the crappiest CD/record/etc you've ever bought?
Far too many to remember, although I suspect briefly owning a copy of Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" is pretty high up in the list.

29. Do you prefer vinyl or Cd's?
Never liked vinyl, and grew up with cassettes long enough to learn to loathe them. CDs.

30. What is your guilty pleasure CD, that being the CD you love but would be ashamed to admit you have in your collection?
Um, I do own a copy of Phil Collins' greatest hits and have been known to rock out to "Easy Lover" alone in my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment