Sunday, August 6, 2006

COMICS: At long last, I'm immortal


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting…Finally, I get to fulfill a long-held dream and become two-dimensional. Yep, my Portland comic-writing friend Jeff Parker has seen fit to give yours truly his moment in the spotlight. I wrote many a comic back in my 1990s small press comic series "Amoeba Adventures," but I've never been a character in a tale - until now. Yep, if you pick up a copy of "Marvel Adventures Avengers" #2 (the new all-ages Avengers title from Marvel Comics), turn the pages and you will discover a startling cameo appearance that – dare I say – might well shake the comics universe to its core!

Behold! The dazzling four-color debut of "Dirga," also known as Henchman #2 to the infamous Hulk villain The Leader:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
…OK, so it ain't exactly a starring role (I do think artist Manuel Garcia nicely captured my essence, however). They've obviously capitalized on the inherent evil of my last name. Also a fun comic too, with some great humor, action and the Hulk beating up fish. (I might add that Jeff's also the writer behind the cool-sounding brand-new Marvel miniseries Agents of Atlas [unfortunately I haven't had a chance to pick up a copy yet, but I bet you it's swell!]) He's also with the nifty group of comics folks up in Portland who make up Mercury Studios.

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingBut anyway, you ask, what is Dirga the henchman's ultimate fate? I can't tell you for sure without asking Mr. Parker, but it appears like all good henchmen, I end up getting punched in the face by Captain America. So much for my brief moment of comic bookery. Dare I hope there's a spin-off solo comic in the future for my humble Henchman #2? There's more to be told here! Vote with your wallets - write Marvel Comics today!

No comments:

Post a Comment