Tuesday, November 9, 2004

Time to look ahead at the January 2005 comix releases and what I plan to order from them from the good folks at my fix supplier, Westfield Comics:

JLA #110; JLA: Classified #3
Superman / Batman #17
WE3 #3
Y - Last Man #30
The "buzz" is gone some, but this is still one of the most reliably fun comics I read each month.
Authority: Revolution #4
Planetary #22
Amazing Spider-Man #516
Astonishing X-Men #9
Daredevil #69
Essential Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1
Another Essential must -- 600 pages of vintage 1970s Spider-Man goodness for $15 or so. Hoo-ah!
Fantastic Four #522
Incredible Hulk #77
Peter David returns! The Hulk is a character I've only really ever seen written well by Mr. David, so it's good to see him back for a hopefully long stay. His last one lasted 12 years and was the best the Hulk's ever been. Can you go home again? We'll see.
Marvel Knights Spider-Man #10
New Avengers #3
Having been burned by the "Chaos" storyline that Bendis kicked off his Avengers run on, I'm still hopeful his new series will be decent. It's got Luke Cage, dammit!
Pulse #7
Ultimate Secret #2; Ultimate Spider-Man #71; Ultimates 2 #2
Powers #8
Apocalypse Nerd #1
Hey, a new Peter Bagge comic, about the last man on a post-apocalyptic earth. I'm down.
Concrete: Human Dilemma #2
Black Hole #12
Wow, I've been buying this irregularly published noir horror comic from Charles Burns for something like 10 years, and finally, the last issue is here. It's a masterpiece, among the finest horror comics since the glory days of EC in the 1950s, and I'm eager to sit down and re-read the whole series in its entirety. Kudos also to Fantagraphics for offering a nifty slipcase for a few bucks that you can stick the whole series in -- each issue has been gorgeously designed, and frankly I don't need to buy a paperback of it when I can just stuff 'em in a slipcase. A good call I'd like to see more publishers do.

And a few things I'd like to get but will hold off for now --
Bizarro World hardcover Drooool... A new kooky comics anthology of alternative comics' best doing DC superhero parodies? Including work by Tony Millionaire, Kyle Baker, Evan Dorkin, Dylan Horrocks, Eddie Campbell, Harvey Pekar, James Kochalka, Gilbert Hernandez, Peter Bagge, Andi Watson, Bob Fingerman, Craig Thompson & Ivan Brunetti. This is hard to wait on -- awesome talent, and the first "Bizarro Comics" book was a hoot, but I'll wait for a cheaper paperback version instead of pay $30 for this right now.
Peter David: Hulk Visionaries, A nifty paperback featuring the earliest Hulk stories by the aforementioned Mr. David, nearly 20 years old now but still good stuff. But at $20, I'm going to wait until I can find it at a discount.

No comments:

Post a Comment