Tuesday, December 6, 2011

40.

…So long time, no post. As the last entry probably indicated, it’s been a rather rough year for us. We’re dealing with everything that’s happened and getting on with our lives, but admittedly, it’s a long haul for everyone, losing two parents from the family in less than 2 months. It's a cliche, but sometimes cliches are true: Everything has changed.

Somewhere in there, I turned 40. We buried my wife’s father on a Monday, and by that weekend, we were off to Sydney, Australia, for a long-planned holiday arranged well before all the funerals and such we’ve deal with this year.

I turned 40 and we spent the day in the sunshine at Manly Beach, on gold sand and warm water, and we went out for dinner at a fine little Italian restaurant where I ordered a proper steak for the first time in eons. Sydney is one of my favourite places, and it didn’t disappoint this time. All in all, it was a good way to get a year older – I thought I’d like to make the 40th something to remember, and it was.

And now 2011 is nearly over – I’m usually a fairly positive fella, but it’s been a year with a lot more bad in it than good. Good riddance to it, and hoping for a better 2012.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I'm sorry it's been such a rough year. And I lost only one parent this year.
    To a better 2012.
    And belated happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had a rough 2011. I hope it is the 'darkest hour' and you get a lovely dawn with new beginnings in 2012.

    Your trip does sound like a great way to celebrate 40 years!

    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best to you and yours, Nik, for a happier 2012, and a belated happy 40th, too.

    ReplyDelete