Wednesday, January 16, 2008

30 Days of Bloggery: What I'm Listening To


Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis - Y'know, I've never really noticed Carl Perkins, the great Sun Records star who unfortunately had the bad luck to be overshadowed by labelmates Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley. But I saw a CD of his hits for a mere $3 the other day and decided to pick it up. It's pure rockabilly fun, by the man who wrote legendary tunes like "Blue Suede Shoes" and "Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby" and "Matchbox" (which then went on to be far more successful in cover versions by Elvis and some band called the Beatles). Very enjoyable roots-of-rock 'n' roll stuff.

I also picked up an equally-cheap Jerry Lee Lewis collection and have been digging the heck out of that one too. The man plays the piano like it was an electric guitar, assaulting the keys pretty danged hard, but it works. Says something about me the older I get the further back my musical tastes are moving. By 40 I'll be listening to medieval madrigals.

No comments:

Post a Comment