Thursday, January 24, 2008

30 Days of Bloggery: Questions Answered, Part II


So Question Man Lefty asked, and I answer:

1. If you could go back and change a sci-fi or fantasy film's soundtrack to use only Bowie songs, what film would it be and what songs would be included?

Hmmm. Intriguing. I have to admit I'd be very curious to hear what Bowie's own starring movie (and best film), "The Man Who Fell To Earth", would be like with the soundtrack he had originally planned to create for it (fragments of which reportedly ended up the album Station To Station). As for a non-Bowie movie, I'd say maybe a flick by Terry Gilliam would be interesting with Bowie's sound -- "Time Bandits," "Brazil" perhaps? I don't think a "traditional" sci-fi movie would benefit particularly from a Bowie soundtrack.

2. What's the worst CD you've bought last year?

I don't tend to buy stuff that I know will be drek, i.e. Celine Dion and the like. But not so much "worst," but underwhelming, I was pretty disappointed by The Fratellis, "Costello Music", which I'd seen recommended in several places and picked up on a whim; one great song, lots of similar-sounding ska-rock filler that reminded me too much of Chumbawumba. And that's the last time I'll mention Chumbawumba on this blog.

3. What do you miss most about the States?

Well, family/friends are #1 obviously, but after that I'd have to say simply the sense of "scale" -- New Zealand is a very small, isolated country, and I have to admit the sheer volume of space and choice in America -- even if you never take advantage of it -- is something I miss. I like the idea I could just hop in a car and drive to Minnesota, even if I never did that. That quasi-romantic sense of American potential is what I miss I think. Australia has a bit of that too, except you tend to die if you drive across there on rambling treks.

No comments:

Post a Comment