Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Wednesday miscellany


Random note-type stuff....

PhotobucketBen Chapman is dead. Who, you say? The giant man who played the Creature in one of my all-time favorite '50s monster mashes, The Creature From The Black Lagoon (he was the gill-man on land -- another actor played him in the swimming scenes). Sure, he just marched along in a rubber suit making menacing movements, perhaps, but there's something primal and creepy about the Creature that made the movie more resonant than many others of its ilk. I long ago wrote about my curious adoration of this funky flick, and just want to salute the grand master of the gills for freaking out many a child over the past 50 years.

Garfield without Garfield. Existential awesomeness. David Lynch meets fat cat jokes.

• Owning a house requires being handy! Today's installment is repainting the flaking and nasty ceiling in the boy's bedroom. Which requires scraping off old paint, sanding it down (all whilst standing on a ladder bending my spine in curious directions), then painting it only to discover the big patchy spots where I scraped the paint off still show. Spackle, coat three, continue as necessary. Sigh.

• All praise New Zealand its mandatory four weeks annual vacation for employees! The using of some of which means that for the first time in nearly two years, I'm a-headin' back to the United States. Not for another six months, yep, but we got a good deal on tickets this weekend and so Peter and I (sadly sans the good wife, who will mind the homestead and save us a fair amount of money) will jet to California for 2 1/2 weeks in August. My god, how will my country have changed in the past 20 or so months? ...Well, probably not too much, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment