Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super duper Tuesday


...I know, more American politics! What can I say -- it's a pretty fascinating year for us presidential politics junkies, and the biggest primary election day in history -- a de facto early national election, almost -- is fascinating to observe. My vote for Mr. Obama is already in the hands of California registrars, but I don't have a clue how it will all shake down. It's a numbers game now, for the first time in a couple decades. I like it. I like that we don't have a "preordained" nominee from either party for once, and that there's a bit of a tussle going on over ideas and the future of my homeland. McCain seems to have it more sewn up on the GOP side, although the conservatives are still giving him hell. Obama and Clinton, it's hard to tell. Clinton definitely has the bigger name, but the thing about Obama seems to be the more the average voter learns about him, the better he does.

There's a lot of terrible campaign writing out there (honestly, if I hear one more commentator remark on Clinton showing a hint of emotion as veiled criticism, I'll yank his byline myself). But there's good too, and here's just a bit I've seen today I like:

The always enjoyable Independent on the return of John McCain.

A great expose of the world of "Hillary Haters," the folks that take their dislike to bizarre, pathological extremes.

A nice piece by one of my favorite authors, Michael Chabon, on why he's voting Obama.

And to cap it all off, the man himself in a great excerpt from his fine book "The Audacity of Hope." Read Barack Obama's words.

And here's a little YouTube. This blog is officially politically biased! (In case anyone had doubts.)



And of course, if you're in one of the Super Tuesday states today, for the luvva god, VOTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment