Tuesday, March 13, 2007

In which my iPod does the writing for me


A meme, a meme, nicked from mean mean Roger Green (who's really not so mean):

IF YOUR LIFE WAS A MOVIE, WHAT WOULD THE SOUNDTRACK BE?
So, here's how it works:
1. Open your library (iTunes, Winamp, Media Player, iPod, etc)
2. Put it on shuffle
3. Press play
4. For every question, type the song that's playing
5. When you go to a new question, press the next button
6. Don't lie and try to pretend you're cool...
7. When you're finished tag some other people to do it!

Right, since the iPod's up to 5200+ songs (and nearly full - ack!), I figured I'd give this a spin:
THE NIK DIRGA STORY (A Spike Lee/Martin Scorsese joint)
Opening credits: "Autumn Almanac," The Kinks. I didn't recognize the title of this one right out, but it's got a nice goofy Kinksy bounce to it ("Yes yes yes it's my autumn almanac") and I can see it setting up my movie life story as a kind of Peter Sellers/Woody Allen tragicomic deeply profound yet amusing epic. Or perhaps not so much. Either way, good track.
Waking up: "Heaven Sent," INXS. Hey, my iPod has a good sense of timing – a fuzzy up-tempo rocker from one of my fave '80s acts. Not profound, but peppy.
First day of school: "Heroin," Lou Reed. OK, I swear to god that's what the iPod picked, not me. Makes me wonder if Mount St. Mary's Catholic School was more out there than I recall back in 1976.
Falling in love: "Do Me Baby," Prince. *Choke* Good god. The iPod is conspiring to make me look foolish. Falsetto Prince doin' it about doin' it at his best, though.
First love song: "Lookin' For Jack," Colin Hay. Ah, I love this tune, melancholy and restless, acoustic and wistful.
Breaking up: "John Wayne Gacy, Jr," Sufjan Stevens. …Although really, "Looking For Jack" might be a more appropriate song than one about a serial killer for breaking up. Although this is an utterly beautiful, strangely empathetic tune if you haven't heard it.
Prom: "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out," The Smiths. Yeah, Morrissey's morose sadness pretty much sums up all my high school prom experiences - broke up with a girlfriend at one, had to watch my ex with a guy I disliked at another one. All in all I should've stayed home and worn black and listened to the Smiths. "And if a double decker bus crashes into us / to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die."
Mental Breakdown: "Subway Train," The New York Dolls. The Dolls rock. And you'll be hearing more about 'em on this blog real soon - I'm going to see their reunion tour March 24 in Auckland, whoo-hoo!
Driving: "Early Morning Cold Taxi," The Who. Hmmm, I can't remember ever having heard this song (on The Who Sell Out) until now. Curious.
Flashback: "Gone Daddy Gone," Gnarls Barkley. It's got a nice psychotic beat to it, don't it?
Getting back together: "Another Woman," Moby. Hmm, this trippy number might've been better for the breakup.
Wedding: "Keep On Runnin'," Cat Power. I've been listening to You Are Free a lot lately. However, this song is only appropriate for a wedding which ends with everyone dead or heartbroken, I think.
Birth of Child: "Danny Says," The Ramones. Would've been better if it were "Peter Says," innit?
Final Battle: "Keep Yourself Alive," Queen. Rawk. I'm fighting 723 CGI-generated zombie Nazi turtles, and I am going to win!
Death Scene: "Stop!" Erasure. Crap, the turtles got me. Whatever happened to Erasure, anyway? I'd rather "A Little Respect" if I had to have an Erasure tune playing while I died, though...
Funeral song: "Two Of Us," The Beatles. Yeah, I can see this being played at my funeral.
End Credits: "Instinct," Crowded House. Ahh... Fitting it ends with a Kiwi (well, Kiwi/Aussie) band, eh mate?

Tagged: I'd be quite interested in reading Greg Burgas' take if he wants it – do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment