Sunday, March 9, 2008

A little of this, a little of that


Random notes! I have my 57th cold of the last few months (or at least what feels like that with Peter the Human Plague Boy living with us and constantly infecting us with day-care germs), so nothing too ambitious today. Scattered thoughts, floating about like the glowing green mucus in my skull (isn't that a pretty image):

Did I mention Patrick has relaunched his Califoregonian blog as the crazy multimedia explosion of groove, Big Plastic Head? Well now I have. Patrick, I want my $5. Go check it out, though.

Did I tell you one of my favorite authors Michael Chabon wrote a cool intellectual article on superhero costumes for The New Yorker recently? "An essay in unitard theory" -- how can you pass that up? Go read.

Did I say I watched the movie "Zodiac" the other night and it was terrific? If you're expecting "Se7en Part II" from director David Fincher, you won't get it, but it's actually a very moody, trippy dive into obsession and madness about the years-long search for the Zodiac serial killer who wreaked havoc in the San Francisco Bay Area in the '60s and '70s. Amazing period detail and great performances by Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Downey Jr., a serial killer movie more about the hunt than blood splattering the screen.

Did I point you in the direction of Angry Journalist.com? Why are we all so angry? Well, unfortunately, I can attest that for a business about communication newsrooms are hives to some of the most socially retarded folk out there; and a lot of nice amigos as well. I've been quite happy with my last few jobs but I know in my past I've had journalism jobs that left me thinking, why do I bother with this? It's a profession that unfortunately breeds a lot of bitterness, I think. Anyway, this site features anonymous journalists ranting anonymously about their lives. Voyeurism! (Oh, and just to balance it all out a bit -- HappyJournalist.com, which naturally features a little less posting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment