Wednesday, April 27, 2005

MOVIES: Do the hustle!


Well, this week is shaping up much like last week, with deadlines and an unexpected chaotic situation at work to deal with. And Baby Rampage!!! to deal with when I get home. Been meaning to post of a variety of subjects but unable to find time to get in-depth, piecemeal it shall be.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Anyway, a buddy from work loaned me the Hong Kong DVD of "Kung Fu Hustle" over the weekend, and I can't say enough cool stuff about this ultra-wacky, butt-kicking flick, which just opened in fairly wide release in the U.S. Roger Ebert's review refers to it as "like Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton meet Quentin Tarantino and Bugs Bunny," which sums it up better than I can. Writer/director/star Stephen Chow hits a home run -- It's like vintage Bruce Lee crossed with a bit of "Crouching Tiger" and finished off with an adrenaline shot of pure gonzo over-the-top superheroics. It starts off oddball, and proceeds gradually into its own realm of kung-fu glory that's hard to describe ("Toad Fighting Style"?!). It may not be entirely original, but it takes what's come before and puts a fine spin on it. Check your sense of logic at the door and geek out. Anybody who loves a bit of the ol' kicking, leaping and chopping, rush to the theater and check it out. I liked it so much I think I'll have to watch the DVD again before I give it back.

In other news, my Jay's Days Giveaway ends Friday! Enter the contest while you still can!

No comments:

Post a Comment